Cauliflower mashers are a delicious way to feel like you're having mashed potatoes with lower carbs and less fat. This recipe takes it a healthier step further by making using vegan ingredients only.
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- 4-5 cloves of garlic, minced and rested for 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup Smart Balance or Earth Balance butter substitute
- 4 green onions, chopped, greens reserved for garnish
- 1-2 tablespoons vegetable stock
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- Olive oil
- Sauté rested garlic and white parts of green onions over medium heat in 2 teaspoons olive oil, until both are soft and brown, about 5 minutes. Be careful not to burn the garlic, or it will taste bitter.
- Remove leaves and stem from cauliflower head, wash thoroughly, and chop florets into small pieces.
- Steam cauliflower in a small amount of water until it is soft enough to poke easily with a fork, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and drain.
- Place garlic and remaining ingredients (nutritional yeast, Smart Balance, vegetable stock, pepper, and salt) into a mixer bowl or food processor.
- Add cauliflower.
- Process, mix, or mash with potato masher until cauliflower is desired consistency. Start with a small amount of vegetable stock and add more as needed.
- Garnish with green parts of green onions if desired.
- Sprinkle with more nutritional yeast if desired.
- Serve warm.