Roast chicken is an easy way to serve a gourmet-style meal that's affordable. It's a comforting, cool weather meal and usually provides leftovers for soup or other chicken meals.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- 1 whole chicken, washed and dried
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Pinch red pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1/2 cup fresh rosemary, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- In a small bowl, mix salt, cumin, turmeric, garlic powder, ginger, cinnamon, paprika, black pepper, red pepper, and avocado oil well.
- Place garlic cloves, rosemary, and parsley under skin and in chicken cavity.
- Place chicken, breast down, on rack inside roasting pan over 1/2 cup chicken broth.
- Rub spice mixture all over outside of chicken. Some spice will fall into broth, which is OK.
- Bake for about 1.5 hours, basting every half hour, until chicken is at least 165°F at its thickest point as measured with a meat thermometer.
- If desired, place under broiler for a few minutes to brown and crisp up the outside.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes after removing from oven before slicing and serving.