Tender eggplant is dressed in a Chinese-inspired sauce with fresh red chili peppers and garlic, creating a delectable, low-carbohydrate dish. Serve with stir-fried zucchini noodles or grilled salmon.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
- 4 tablespoons vegetable or peanut oil
- 3 Chinese eggplants, sliced into 1" by 1" strips
- 1 tablespoon fresh red chili pepper, finely chopped (leave in seeds and veins for extra heat)
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 4 scallions, white portions only, chopped (reserve green parts for garnish)
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce (can substitute regular soy sauce)
- 2 teaspoons black vinegar (may substitute rice vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
Green parts of scallions, sliced
- Mix together soy sauce, black vinegar, oyster sauce and brown sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat three tablespoons of the oil in a wok over high heat. Add the eggplant, arranging in a single layer. Flip continuously to cook the pieces evenly, up to 1 minute on each side. Eggplant should start to turn translucent and sticky brown on the outsides. Remove from wok, and set aside.
- Tip: The strips of eggplant may cook at different speeds. Remove each strip when finished and place in a dish so that they do not overcook and stick to the wok.
- Add remaining tablespoon of oil to wok along with garlic, ginger, chili pepper and scallions. Stir fry the aromatics, pepper and scallions until fragrant, about 30-60 seconds.
- Place eggplant back into wok. Pour sauce over all ingredients and toss to coat.
- Serve immediately with your steamed white rice for a complete entrée, or on its own as a tasty side dish.