A Buddha bowl is a big bowl full of healthy, plant-based yumminess. This Buddha bowl gets its protein from roasted garbanzo beans and harnesses the substantial nutritional benefits of red rice.
Total Time: 15-20 minutes
- 2 avocados
- 2 cups red rice, uncooked
- 4 cups mixed greens
- 1 cup cashew halves and pieces diced
For Roasted Garbanzo Beans
- 1-15oz can garbanzo beans (or roughly 4 cups fresh garbanzo beans)
- 1 teaspoon liquid coconut oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional, for heat)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup roasted or raw tahini
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- Sriracha or other hot sauce, to taste
- Follow instructions here for garbanzo beans: Turmeric Roasted Garbanzo Beans.
- Cook red rice according to instructions on package.
- While beans are roasting and rice is cooking, combine ingredients for sauce in a bowl and whisk together until smooth (use blender or food processor if desired).
- Remove skin and pit from avocados and cut into thin slices.
- In each of 4 large bowls, place 1/2 sliced avocado, 1 cup red rice, 1 cup roasted garbanzo beans, and 1 cup mixed greens. Sprinkle with cashews as desired. Drizzle rice with sauce.