Sweet potato casserole is a favorite fall dish for many, and it's an especially tasty as part of a Thanksgiving or Christmas meal. Sweet potatoes are packed with healthy nutrients like iron, B vitamins, and vitamin C. The traditional version has marshmallows on top and includes lots of butter. Here's an option for making the recipe a little healthier, so you can enjoy it more often.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1.5 hours
- 3 medium sweet potatoes
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans*
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wash and peel sweet potatoes and chop into uniform, bite-sized chunks.
- In a bowl, mix together applesauce, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla.
- Add potatoes to bowl and mix well to cover all pieces of potato.
- Place potato mixture in greased pie plate.
- Top with chopped nuts.
- Bake for 1.5 hours or until potatoes are fork tender.
* For a sweeter topping but some extra calories, fat, and sugar, you can try this topping:
Mix 1/3 cup melted butter or ghee, 2/3 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup coconut or almond flour, 1/3 cup oats, 1/3 cup walnuts or pecans, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Crumble over sweet potato mixture before baking.