A Monte Cristo sandwich is a grilled ham and cheese that's doctored up with some special herbs and often served with a little jam. We've created a Monte Cristo recipe that's a little healthier so you can have it once in a while with less guilt.
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 2 slices of whole wheat bread, preferably with sprouted grains
- 1/2-1 tablespoon unsalted butter from grass-fed cows*
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 slices low sodium, uncured deli turkey
- 1 slice low sodium, uncured deli ham
- 1 slice reduced-fat Swiss or 1/2 ounce shredded low-fat cheese of your choice
- 1/4 cup spinach
- Salt and pepper, optional, to taste
- Reduced sugar preserves of your choice for dipping, optional
- Spread butter lightly on one side of each piece of bread.
- On the other side of one of the slices of bread, spread mustard, sprinkle with rosemary, layer turkey, ham, cheese, spinach, and salt and pepper.
- Top with second piece of bread, butter facing out.
- Heat skillet over medium heat.
- Place sandwich in pan and cook until bread is brown.
- Flip and cook on other side until brown.
- Serve warm with preserves to dip if desired.
* For an even healthier sandwich, use a Panini grill and skip the butter.