Nothing says comfort on a cool autumn evening like a bubbling pot of beef stew. It might seem like a daunting dish to prepare, but it's actually pretty easy once you know the technique. Add plenty of nutritious spices and vegetables for a healthy and filling dinner.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 70 minutes
- 1.5 to 2 pounds lean stew meat
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1-2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cups low sodium beef broth
- 4 bay leaves
- 4-5 large carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large potatoes, peeled and sliced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a gallon-sized freezer bag, place flour, stew meat, black pepper, and paprika. Seal bag and shake until meat is well-coated.
- Warm avocado oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook until onion is translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add meat and cook until browned on all sides.
- Remove beef, garlic, and onion, and add broth to pan. Bring to a simmer and deglaze pan by scraping with a wooden spoon until any bits come off into the broth.
- Add meat, garlic, and onion back to pan, along with bay leaves, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer and cover.
- Cook about 1.5 hours until meat is very tender, adding broth or water as needed.
- Add carrots and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add potatoes, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes until tender.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve.