This delightful chicken dish harnesses the health benefits of artichokes and lemons to create a meal that's worthy of a gourmet restaurant.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts or 10-12 pieces bone-in chicken thighs and legs
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (can substitute olive oil if desired)
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup dry white wine or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced and rested
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning mix or ¼ cup each fresh parsley, basil, and oregano, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 2 cups white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (14 oz.) can or 1 cup artichoke hearts, drained and halved
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, or parsley), optional, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400˚.
- Whisk together oil, vinegar, wine or broth, garlic, mustard, Italian seasonings, and red pepper flakes. Set aside.
- Place mushrooms bottom of 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Place chicken on top of mushrooms.
- Place artichoke hearts, onion, and lemon around and on top of chicken.
- Pour liquid oil mixture evenly over chicken.
- Bake, uncovered, for 30-40 minutes, until chicken is cooked and juices run clear.
- Garnish and serve.
- You can marinate chicken in oil mixture for up to 24 hours prior to cooking if desired.
- If you are using legs and thighs instead of breasts, cooking time will be closer to 1 hour.
- Serving suggestion, pictured: Serve over red Bhutan rice.