If you're trying to get more healthy seeds into your diet, this dish is a great, easy way to do it. The crunch of the seeds adds depth to the texture of the sautéed squash. It's also a fast, easy side dish. Add cooked chicken to the sauté pan in the last 10 minutes of cooking to make it a full meal.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- 1 zucchini squash, washed and sliced
- 1 summer squash, washed and sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons butter or your choice of sautéing oil
- 1 cup pumpkin or other squash seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil, liquid form
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Parmesan cheese, to taste, optional
- Heat butter or cooking oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion, and sauté until tender, about 1 minute.
- Add squash and red pepper. Sauté, stirring, until soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to low, cover, and cook until very tender, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
While vegetables are cooking, prepare seeds:
- Preheat oven to 375 ˚F.
- Combine coconut oil with curry powder in a small bowl.
- Add squash seeds, and toss until thoroughly coated.
- Spread seeds onto a cookie sheet in a single layer.
- Place the seeds in the oven.
- Seeds are done when they are brown and crispy, about 10 minutes.
Serve squash with seeds sprinkled on top. Top with parmesan cheese if desired.